This week, after a full day, I meandered into Trader Joes to pick up some of their autumn specialty items. You know, the Pumpkin Kringle that I freeze for our fall, family gatherings and the Pumpkin Ravioli that ALWAYS disappears before I can stock up on it.
After choosing a selection of yummy foods that would make a good “grazing dinner” paired with relaxing conversation — Harvest Soup, Pumpkin Cranberry Crisps, Chimay Autumn Cheese, Honeycrisp apples, dried fruits and nuts, and the Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread mix—I headed home to have a cozy, fall evening with my family.
Fall has arrived, ladies, and I’m in my element!
God made autumn on purpose
He wants us to slow down, stop, and become attentive in the moment to His presence.
He catches our attention through the shift in weather and golden foliage, as well as the whiff of a Starbucks Pumpkin Latte.
We pause, look, and, hopefully, put aside our hurried steps and cell phone to sense Jesus. To make space in our day to muse or laugh or sit quietly with Him before we engage the next portion of our full life.
Secondly, God delights in our appreciation of the golden colors, smells, chilly weather, and tastes that He splashes all over our world.
Same-o, same-o isn’t part of God’s agenda. Autumn was made to follow summer.
So let’s look at celebrating autumn by incorporating the natural tendency to get cozy with fall.
Because autumn cozy embraces the idea of living intentionally.
Carve out space to make Autumn cozy
- It’s too easy to be routine, so schedule space into your life to rest and connect with the Lord, yourself, and family.
- Listen to the rainfall while you indulge in making your grandmother’s pumpkin bread recipe.
- Invite friends into your home to linger over hot soup and crusty bread while you catch up on their lives.
- Cuddle up with your cat while you drink hot cocoa and read that book you bought but haven’t had time to crack open.
- Write letters or cards to your kids or grandkids that include a favorite autumn quote.
- Hug a bowl of Candy Corn Popcorn while watching a favorite Netflix movie.
- Add a pumpkin biscotti to your morning ritual of coffee, Bible reading, and musing with the Lord in your favorite overstuffed chair.
Create a cozy autumn atmosphere with:
- Fall foliage, pumpkins, and other bits of nature to bring the outdoors inside
- A crackling fire in the fireplace
- Flickering candles
- Fall blankets
- A good book
- A knitting or crochet project
- Hot coffee, tea, apple cider, or cocoa
- Apple pie, pumpkin scones, stew or other seasonal food
- Music to suit your mood
- Fall essential oils to diffuse throughout the room
- Comfy PJs or favorite lounging clothes
In all of these, remember Who relaxes with you, laughs with you, and enjoys your companionship. Jesus wants to get cozy with you.
Let the chilly nights come! You’re ready.
Looking for more ideas? Check this out: 10 Autumn Soul Breaks to Restore Your Soul
This Post Has 4 Comments
This has been a very tiring week so far and this “word” of refreshing has generated a heartfeit….Ahhhhhhhh…..!!!
Thank you for this “gentle” reminder…
Wish you lived close so we could enjoy some of that autumn cozy together, Bev. 🙂
I love the idea of fall, but we are still waiting for the weather to catch up with the season around here. Can’t wait!
I hear you, Debbie! Today feels like fall at my house. Yesterday…sort of. But today… happy dance time. 🙂