Messy, dirty faith… the kind that pleases God, isn’t displayed like the beautiful china in your china cabinet. Rather it looks like the well used, messy workshop of a master mechanic.
Rather filthy, though somewhat organized, and definitely not the kind of place you’d invite your mother for tea.
This is faith, tested and understood. Faith that has lasted long enough to know what type of trial awaits and how to navigate the storm.
God’s Messy Dirty Faith Club
A quick look at God’s Raw, Messy Dirty Faith Club includes men and women who struggled with real sweat, blisters, trauma, dirt, slander, drama, and promises given them by God, yet never fulfilled during their lifetime.
Ordinary people who suffered financial hardship, rejection, physical abuse, and loneliness. People who gave up their lives in the service of the King of Kings.
All because they were willing to spend their time following the One who called them by name and promised them a forever home.
This kind of faith doesn’t come easy…
We often casually declare that God will give us the grace we need when hard times come. We say that because it freaks us out to think about actually having to develop the faith-muscles needed to survive life’s coming trials and storms.
But strong faith (the kind that keeps you from imploding or self-destructing during the difficult and stressful seasons of life) isn’t handed out by God like free cookies at a bake sale. Instead, it’s matured, strengthened, and refined over much time and through thousands of small, daily choices to trust Him. -Jeff Kinley in “As It Was In the Days Of Noah”
How to join this faith club
You’ve been sent an invitation to join God’s Messy, Dirty Faith Club. If you choose to accept, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Learn God’s Word well. People with raw, dirty faith know where to grab assurance, validation, and hope from the worn pages of their Bible and apply those Scriptures to whatever ugly life situation they are facing at any given moment.
- Learn to face big challenges with the same trust in God’s presence and peace that you do with small challenges.
- Don’t look for public recognition. Live only to please the Father.
- Remind yourself often that following God’s direction isn’t necessarily fun, safe, or easy. But the rewards are eternal.
- Get used to being rejected, misunderstood, and misrepresented. These are all part of the faith package you signed up for.
For those of you who already are a part of God’s Messy, Dirty Faith Club, look over your faith journey.
Don’t ignore the mess and dirt. Be proud of it.
You’ve grown, learned, and you continue to develop strong faith muscles.
You’re ready to face new challenges.
Eventually, in eternity future, I’ll look forward to seeing your name posted in God’s Faith Club Hall of Fame.
For now, don’t forget to journal your messy, dirty faith… someday someone will need the notes you’ve left them as they navigate their own journey.
Getting messy with you,
P.S. Who do you know that would be encouraged by this post? Pass it on.