Do you ever find it hard to let God love you? I know I have discouraging days when I wonder how God could ever love me, and I know I’m not alone. Those I counsel sometimes feel unloved and longing for the Father’s arms to wrap around them reassuring them of his love.
But how do we let God love us when we feel so unlovable? Here is an exercise I practice and recommend to others.
How to Let God Love You
Following are 10 truths God states about you. I have personalized each verse as if God was speaking it directly to you. Read through each statement as you picture God holding you close and speaking these words over you. Take your time.
- You were known and loved by Me before you were ever conceived (Jeremiah 1:4-5).
- I planned you. You were not a mistake for I wrote all your days down in My book before you were ever born (Psalm 139:15-16).
- You are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).
- I carry you close to My heart (Isaiah 40:11).
- You are the apple of My eye (Deuteronomy 32:10)
- I view you as priceless, and I think of you more often than there are grains of sand on a beach (Psalm 139:17-18).
- You are not condemned by Me, but accepted just as you are (Romans 8:1; 14:3).
- I love you with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3).
- You are a sweet aroma to Me (2 Corinthians 2:15).
- Nothing will ever separate you from My love (Romans 8:38-39).
You might find it helpful to write these statements, and the verses that go with each, down on index cards. Flip through the index cards as you work your way through this imagination exercise.
Repeat the exercise daily for several weeks and you will soon find your oppression lifting and your countenance reflecting the love of God. If you’ve written the full verse out, you will find that you have memorized it without even trying.
Question: Which statement captures your heart the most and why?
Have a great day, Susan
“Jesus likes it when we share.” -Adelaide, age 3: Pass this along to everybody and their brother. OK, maybe not everybody’s brother, but you know, all of your friends would be nice.