Do you ever have one of those days when life just seems depressing? Most of us do. If we wallow in the mud of our depressing mood, we end up covered in mental and emotional yuck. Here are 10 things to do to climb out of a mudhole of depression.
1. Read through some Psalms and remember that God’s love for you is not based on your mood. He loves you even when you can’t feel his presence.
2. Send an appreciation card to someone who has done something nice for you.
3. Set one goal to accomplish today. Make it attainable and not overwhelming. Then do it!
4. Go for a jog or a walk, and focus on the details of creation around you. Look at anything that grows, identify the smells coming your way, and listen for new sounds.
5. Make a list of 30 blessings in your life.
6. Take a lunch to the park and watch the children playing. Pray for them and their parents.
7. Write a list of how God has used you in the lives of other people.
8. Take coffee to the church secretary.
9. Play racket ball or swim. Exercise adjusts the chemicals in your brain, which helps your mood.
10. Get alone and pour your heart out to God. Ask for his strength and joy.
Still in the mudhole? Check out Help Guide for more suggestions on fighting depression.
What have you found helpful to do when faced with feelings of depression? (Oh, and don’t forget to walk the dog.)
In Him together, Susan Gaddis