Eternity future is a long time—really long. So what does someone do with all that time in heaven?
In his book, Things Unseen, Mark Buchanan makes the following comment concerning heaven, “It’s the one place where we’re constantly discovering—where everything is always fresh and the possessing of a thing is as good as the pursuing of it—and yet where we are fully at home—where everything is as it ought to be and where we find, undiminished, that mysterious something we never found down here.”
Here are 8 specific things we will be doing in heaven as gleaned from Randy Alcorn’s book, Heaven, and the Scriptures.
1. We will rest from our labors on earth (Rev. 14:13).
2. We will eat, drink and celebrate with Christ and those that know Him. We’ll fellowship, tell stories, laugh, talk, enjoy corporate worship, and interact with God and angels. (Isa. 25:6; Matt. 8:11; Luke 22:29-30; Rev. 19:9). Eating and drinking in heaven will be for pleasure as there will be no hunger or thirst in heaven (Rev. 7:16).
3. We will serve God—which is not a passive state, but indicates activity and creativity.
6. When we are in heaven, we will welcome others into our homes (Luke 16:9).
7. We will be given a new name that is known only to God and ourselves (Rev. 2:17).
8. We will receive the treasures that Christ commanded us to store up “for ourselves” in heaven (Matt. 6:20).
I hope this post gives you joy as you imagine those you love, who are already in heaven, enjoying their life there. I pray it gives you something to look forward to as you prepare for eternity future. What do you look forward to doing in heaven?
In Him together, Susan Gaddis